Americans can get free at-home COVID-19 tests soon — but they won’t work for travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story will continually be updated as more information is available
Although Americans will have access to order free at-home rapid COVID-19 tests thanks to the recent purchase of 500 million tests by the Biden administration, they won’t be helpful with travel.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Beginning Jan. 19, Americans will be able to order up to four tests per household online at COVIDTests.gov, with expected ship dates within one week to 12 days of ordering, White House officials announced on Jan. 14.
Tests will be mailed directly to homes.
“There will be free tests available for every household, and to promote broad access, the initial program will allow four free tests to be requested per residential address,” President Biden said in a press conference Friday, while noting the more than 20,000 free testing sites across the nation.
Per a White House spokesperson, all of the Biden administration-issued tests are authorized by the Food and Drug Administration, but whether they are suitable for use for international travel depends on the country.
The United States, for example, requires all air passengers age 2 and older to show proof of a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within one day of departure for the U.S.
Per guidance issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, this test can either be a PCR or antigen test so long as it’s proctored.
Thus, the at-home tests issued by the Biden administration starting next week are unlikely to be accepted for travel to the U.S., but Abbott’s BinaxNow COVID-19 Home Test and Ellume’s COVID-19 Home Test, both of which were previously approved by the CDC, do work. The CDC did not respond to a request for comment for this article.
Note that most at-home tests are antigen tests and not widely accepted abroad, though at-home tests in which your test is administered by a proctor virtually may suffice.
Instead, these tests can be used for peace of mind, such as for group gatherings.
Be sure to consult any entry and exit rules as they pertain to COVID-19 for specific countries, outlined by the U.S. Embassy and other government officials.
Featured photo of President Joe Biden on Jan. 14, 2022, by Ken Cedeno/UPI/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees